Saturday, September 13, 2014

Nook/Kindle vs. Paper-Bound Books

Hey all,


              You know, I've had some people and friends tell me that instead of picking up a nice paper-bound book, I should instead, pick up a piece of technology. The Nook, or Kindle. While I see the appeal in them: It's lighter and the books are cheaper, it's easier to carry around with you, it's more convenient, etc. So what if you have to pay a little extra for a book? You could always go to the library. At least I don't have to charge it if it runs out of battery. The quality of the book you're buying on your nook/kindle might not be all that great anyway. Still, you're holding a piece of technology and staring into a screen. Don't we all do that enough in our daily lives? Staring into screens is all some of us seem to do anymore. Isn't it nice to just be able to put aside your phones, iPads, computers, etc. for a nice, paper-bound book? If I'm going somewhere, I always have a paper-bound book with me. Yes, it might be heavy, but I get the satisfaction of reading the book and knowing that I can always pull it out of my bag when I need it. I'm not staring into a screen. I'm not straining my eyes and skimming the pages. I'm absorbing what the words are telling me.
             Yes, you're still supporting authors by buying their book online, but I for one, would like to actually buy one of their PAPER-BOUND books. You can't have an author autograph a nook/kindle, can you? We're all slaves of technology. I will not deny that I have TRIED to read a book on my iPad. I didn't like it. I found myself skimming the book and I didn't get as much enjoyment out of the book I bought instead of the one I would get from my paper bound. I will continue to read my paper-bound friends. You have your opinion and I have mine. Don't try and tell me how I should read my books. You like what you like and I like what I like. 

          I guess that's just how I feel. I'm so sick and tired of people trying to tell me to "convert" (Or they strongly suggest) to a nook/kindle. I'll stick with paper-bound, thank you. Now, this might not be the case for everybody, but I have strong feelings about this. 

Much love, 


~Rio


No comments:

Post a Comment