Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Emotionally Distant


You say that I’m distant
You say that I hide my feelings
You say that I’m closed off
You say that I don’t have any feelings
You say that I’ll never be in a relationship
You say that I have my box
You say that you want into my space
You say that you want to get to know me
You say that you want to love me
You say that I don’t cry
You say that you want me to share
You say you want me to share
You say that you want me to love you back
You say you want me to say those words that you always say
You say I’m a bitch
You say that you’re tired of it all
You say that you want me to open up
You say you want me to be normal

I ask you why you love me
I ask you why you want me to say it back
I ask you if it brings you any contentment
I ask you why you care
I ask you to leave me alone
I ask you to give me space
I ask you to let me adjust
I ask you to leave me in my box
I ask you to respect me and my box
I ask you to give me time

You say that I’m emotionally distant
You say that I’m distant in general
You keep asking me why I’m distant
I ask you why it even matters
You say that you love me
I ask you “Do You?”
You say that you do
I tell you why I’m distant
“It started when I was thirteen” was my reply


Maybe you’re right
Maybe I won’t have anybody else in my life
Maybe I won’t let anybody else in
Maybe I block everything out
Maybe I block it out because of the anger, the hurt, and the sadness
Maybe I even block out the happiness

To me, I like my box
To me, you are nothing
To me, you’re just another person
To me, I see myself

I look at my reflection and weight my thoughts
‘Am I pretty enough?’
‘I wish I was like her’
‘I wish I was accepted’
‘I wish I was perfect’

You say I need to change
You say I need to “Be Myself”
You say I need to smile more
You say I need to laugh more

I ask you why I should change
I ask you “What does that mean?”
I ask you if you’ve seen me smile
I ask you if you’ve seen me laugh

Give me a chance
Give me hope
Give me time
Give me space
Give me faith
Give me love

I don’t like the same things you do
I don’t like the same clothing as you
I don’t have the same friends you do
I don’t have anything as you

I guess what I’m trying to say is:
I’m perfect in my own way
I’m perfect in my world
I’m perfect in my eyes
I’m perfect in my version of “myself”
I’m perfect in my own justification
I may be emotionally distant
I may be physically distant
I may be physiologically distant
I may be distant in general

You can’t change who I am
You can’t change what I believe
You can’t change my morals
You can’t change my entire being just to please you
You can’t change me just because I have a flaw

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
You may like it
You may not like it
You may hate it
You may detest it
I am beautiful
And nothing can bring me down

No comments:

Post a Comment